Follow my blog for easy cooking

Thursday 26 April 2012

A spicy dal to uproot the bad mood

Some days start off very badly. Mine did today.I woke up grumpy. We had been fighting over the A/c temperature and had spent the night grabbing the remote from each other.

Then like all bad days - things just kept getting worse.

I had a tiff with my 5 year old daughter over her hair -do. She wanted it one way and I insisted that was not for school days. And suddenly we were in the middle of tears.

 The breakfast got stranded half way with her insisting that she had a stomach ache. We drove to school in an icy silence.

 At the school gate however the parting was too much for both of us and we did kiss and exchange a "love you", but then after that she was on the other side of the gate and I was left nursing my grumpy ill temper on this side.

The morning was spent doing nothing in particular - not even indulging in my favourite blogging.

Caution and diets were thrown to the winds and two big bars of chocolate were devoured in an attempt to placate the ugly witch with the nasty temper. Plans were made to chop off the unruly mane.

 Then just as I was about to leave to go chop - chop - chop at the hair stylists, I saw a bowl of dal staring up at me from the kitchen shelf. A leftover roti was commissioned from the fridge and the dal was attacked. Five spoons of the comfort food in my stomach and I was a different person. Every spoon full after that made things look better and better.With the next helping I scooped up the red chillies as well and sqeezed their dangerous red juices into the dal and slurped it up. Wow! amazing.

The hing and the chillies had collectively kicked my world back into form again. The world looked good again and I was ready to blog
Blog about the magic called Dhuli masoor ki dal - an inconspicous pink lentil that could be transformed by a little bit of haldi, namak, hing jeera and saboot lal mirch into a magical potion that over took even the famed tried and tested feel good property of Chocolate

Masoor ki dal ( comfort food for troubled minds)

  1. Take a katori of dhuli masoor ki dal and wash it well until the rinsed off water runs clear
  2. Put it in a pan with three times the amount of water and add 1/2 tsp haldi and 3/4 tsp salt to it.
  3. Boil until the dal is cooked and starts looking brownish yellow instead of pink (about 10 minutes)
  4. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small kadhai, add 2 whole red chillies, a pinch of hing and a tsp of jeera.
  5. When the jeera splutters, pour it over the cooked dal
  6. Mix well and simmer the dal for another 5 minutes or until the bubbles disappear
Your magic potion is ready
DRINK UP GIRL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment