Follow my blog for easy cooking

Friday 2 January 2015

Before the Breath - the Memoirs of a Newborn

Before the first breath –
the Memoirs of a newborn


From the very first moment that I held my newborn daughter - I was convinced that she had something to say.
I was excited!
Wow! This was a first!
A newborn who wanted to talk - she must be brilliant - I thought.
And, why not?

She was my daughter after all.
OK - I am not brilliant. But I do talk a lot.

With pride in my voice I conveyed the news to my husband.

He was pensively calculating how he was going to get his sleep that night between changing diapers and following my nonstop instructions - and as I made this announcement - the look of intense concentration on his face morphed into one of dread.

The look he gave me said it all. It said - “Oh dear! Now a mad wife - to add to the chaos.”

“Go to sleep. You must be really tired - go to sleep” was all he finally managed to say.

The implied message however was loud and clear.

I looked at my baby - I was certain she looked indignant too.

“Yes Mamma” she seemed to be saying “of course I have something to say”

Not one to give up easily on conversations -especially when they smelt promising - I mulled over what this hour old creature could possibly have - to say.

“Hmmmmmmmmmm…………. there was no way I was giving up on this one”

Through sleepless days and nights of exhaustedly and yet proudly feeding and changing my new possession - I mulled and mulled over this mystery.

And one fine day when I was sufficiently sleep deprived - it hit me.

This baby that I thought was just a few days old - was in fact just as old as me.

She was that one cell who had made it from the ovary to my arms when so many others hadn’t and as a cell she had been born as soon as I was born.

What adventures she must have had! No wonder she looked like she had so much to share!
It must have been so tough for her - a little cell in an obscure corner of my body - with such a big dream!

I was certain hers was a story worth chronicling and I determined that I would do it.

But how would I know what she had to say?

Hmmmmmm……… it would have to be my Embryology and Obstetrics textbooks to the rescue.
It was such an important story - I could not possibly be technically inaccurate.

Between being Mom, doctor, wife and myself (where my procrastinating self has certainly been at the forefront) - this book has taken me a while to write - but at last it is done.

It tells the story of a cell in the left ovary who suffers with fortitude through her boring uneventful childhood - survives the trials and tribulations of her Moms teen years - and hopes and prays to meet her Prince charming - and one day finally does.

Marital bliss with her Prince charming morphs into an exercise in cell resource management and meeting of deadlines - as she hurtles towards her dream of being born a little baby and making it to her Mom’s arms.

After several - “Will I make its?” and “How will I make that happen?” she finally realizes her dream.

Read about it in my book


Find out all that happens before you finally get to hold your little one.


13 comments:

  1. Bit confused here. Name of the author is Debmita Dutta and your name is Varsha. Have you changed your name to write this book or is Varsha your pen name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 'varsha'
    I read all your blog entries in the last couple of days. What fun I was having! I liked your jhatpat recipes and the chronicles.
    And suddenly there are none left. It's been more than an year too, so perhaps you should write soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Archaj !
    This is one of the best comments anyone has ever made on my blog. You have really made my day. Yes...I have so many more stories to tell. .I wish I could sit down and write them down. I have been busy with my website blog at www.theparentingplace.in do take a look at that too :) . I will write more stories here too soon....now that I have your encouragement. Thanks a lot for your wonderful message :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Archaj !
    This is one of the best comments anyone has ever made on my blog. You have really made my day. Yes...I have so many more stories to tell. .I wish I could sit down and write them down. I have been busy with my website blog at www.theparentingplace.in do take a look at that too :) . I will write more stories here too soon....now that I have your encouragement. Thanks a lot for your wonderful message :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  7. Untuk anda yang ingin mendapatkan kemenangan pada permainan Poker dengan mudah, segera mainkan dengan mengikuti beberapa trik yang tersedia dibawah ini.

    InfoJitu
    InfoPendek
    Cheatpasti
    SitusPanas

    ReplyDelete