Follow my blog for easy cooking

Sunday 6 May 2012

Chocolate cake - wins hands down every time

Ah! the day after a party ................. amazing.
 Only if you happen  to have the day off maybe. Or no - even otherwise I think.

 The fridge is choc - a - bloc with goodies. (Of course the foresight of cooking in excess is a necessary pre-requisite.)
The day can be spent lolling around (no cooking to be done) and occassionally (frequently rather) dipping into the party leftovers with the spoons that I have convieniently left around in my favourites.

Of course several years into marriage when polite enquiries about preferences have been abandoned, the aforementioned pass time does involve a mini stampede for the favourites.

 In our refrigerator  today the first target was the chocolate cake.

I woke up this morning dreaming of its gooey texture , dark rich colour and heady chocolate taste. I wanted a bite immediately.

 Guess who I found in the kitchen though?

Hubby dearest was already pottering around with his cuppa when I got there.

My heart missed a beat - there had been very little left over from the party - what if it were already gone!

 I scowled at him in apprehension - he gave me a nonchalant glance.  My heart beat fast - and I opened the fridge.

 Phew!! There it was - the fruit of my labour.

 I curled up on the well worn corner of my well worn sofa to indulge myself after the anxiety of the previous few minutes.

Bliss! Bless you husband!

The Winning chocolate cake

I love to watch Rachell Allen as she lovingly cradles her beating bowl and creams the butter and sugar with a divine smile on her face.

When the show is over and I'm off the couch however - all I can think of are the virtues of my food processor. No food processor - no cake.

  1. The first thing I like to do is to get the baking tin ready. Scatter a few drops of oil in the tin and spread it all over, then place some paper (wasteful me - I always use printer sheets) to cover the base of the tin.
  2. Now turn on the oven on convection mode - set it to 180 degrees and let it preheat. In my experience it is always better to preheat for longer  - so I set the timer for 20 mins
Now its a race against time. I have only 20 minutes

3.     Turn on the food processor with the mixing blade in place. Crack 5 eggs one after the other and keep adding them to them mixing bowl.
4.      As the eggs get beaten up, measure out 1 and 3/4 cup powdered sugar   and add it in the bowl.
5.       Allow the beating to proceed and measure out 3/4 cup oil. Pour this is in as well.
6.       Keep the mixing going and add 2 tsp of vanilla essence.
7.       When theres a nice frothy mass in the bowl stop the food processor.
8.       In a seperate dry bowl, mix 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda with a cup of maida. Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Mix all this well - with your hands if you like - its faster. I never sift but you could if you like.
9.       Take another bowl and pour out the contents of the food processor.
10.      Now tip in the flour and cocoa powder mixture into the egg mixture mixing gently. This is one step in my careless life that I am extremely careful with.
11.      Once these two mixtures have been mixed, there is no time to lose, quickly pour it into the paper lined tin and shove it into the oven
12.      Bake it for 30 minutes at 150 degrees
13.      Take out the cake and allow it to cool. Then unmould the cake by turning the tin over.
14.      When the cake cools, slice it into two horizontally. This is easier said than done
15.      Drench both the inside surfaces with chocolate sauce and then fit them back together again.
16 .      For the top icing - Mix  5 tablespoons of powdered sugar in 4 tablespoons of hot water. Mix in 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder and add about 50 gms of butter. Mix well. If it seems too runny, cool the mixture a little and add a tablespoon of cornflour powder. Spread this mixture on the top and sides of the cake .

Refrigerate and serve chilled .

Ummmm ........ Heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment